Posted on 1 Comment

Wim’s Reprap morgan build

Wim de Groot is busy building a Morgan with a bit of a twist in order to use what he has available… Sounds so familiar!  Here is what he shared:

P1020184 P1020183 P1020182

From the construction I learned a lot about the bearing etc. how to have a good movement of the arms.

The main brass tube is 22/19 mm, so small bearings 19/10 (available) could be pressed in. (19/8 bearing would be nicer)
The inner brass tube is 12/10 mm and using my lathe I made two inserts (soft soldered) on both ends from 10mm round brass rod with shoulders for the bearings and M8 thread cut for the wheel and the main arm.

In the pics you will see that I am going work with an intermedate “floor” to mount the two motors (one on each side).
This would be more stable, I guess.

The next step would be to get motors and timing belt gears conncted.
And further the end stops (prior to acquire the control board etc).
I want to be sure that I get it right mechanically.

Thanks for sharing Wim! Best of luck with the rest of the build.

Posted on 1 Comment
Posted on 4 Comments

Morgan Sources (Git updates)

Get your latest Morgan fix.

https://github.com/qharley/Morgan

Morgan was updated this weekend.  Included:

  • Front mounting clips for those that do not want to get 15mm pipe fixings at the hardware store
  • DXF platform updated
  • DXF universal bed-mounting plate (by OpenHardware) added.

Latest firmware remain in the armlevel branch https://github.com/qharley/Marlin/tree/armlevel

Enjoy, Q

Posted on 4 Comments
Posted on 2 Comments

Morgan improvements

20130623-084023.jpg

This is to demontrate the improvements in Morgan over the past months.

The model on the right was printed on Morgan0, when it still had the threaded rod Z axis drive. It was oversized, and approximately 197 mm high. The blobbing caused by an earlier slic3r and z artifacts are clearly visible.

The model on the left was printed last night on Morgan01. 156% oversize, it measures 220mm in height, and displays none of the previous problems. Surprisingly is is lighter than the first pink lady. The artifact that can be seen on the legs are due to a filament break, quickly resolved by pushing the filament back in the extruder following the broken filament in the Bowden cable. Due to the new trend in Slic3r to minimize retraction, the effect of the problem was minimized.

Could never have imagined this.
Great times!

Posted on 2 Comments
Posted on 9 Comments

Calibration makes perfect

20130623-001319.jpg

After replacing the noisy extruder (Morgan0 did a beautiful job here) Morgan01’s prints improved… A lot.

In the photo you see some calibration blocks, a 200mm high, 40mm diameter tube, printed spiral vase style in order to test the smoothness of the complete usable Z-movement, after adjusting the holding tension of the backlash spring. There were some strange artifacts in a large print I left to work overnight, which prompted this action

The Z backlash should be adjusted to the pint where the bed almost wants to drop down on its own when not powered. This allows a silky smooth movement, and is apparent in the consistency of the tube.

The piece of tape on the bowden tube was used for the extruder calibration. Did not take it off yet.

Posted on 9 Comments
Posted on Leave a comment

Assembly guide

At this moment, the assembly instructions are a bit sparse to say the least.

As usual, real world work has to take preference, and this weekend was no exception.
This week I plan to make a little time to take apart and put Morgan01 together again, taking photographs as I go along.

Posted on Leave a comment
Posted on Leave a comment

The release without the party…

It seems I will have to miss my own party… But don’t fret. The release of the Morgan files will go ahead as scheduled. You will just find h4h devoid of me, and the Morgans this coming week.

I am sent on a business trip, to another province, exactly Tuesday to Wednesday. My luck.

See you on-line on Tuesday!

Posted on Leave a comment
Posted on 2 Comments

Pi

Today I finally found a reason to get a Pi.  Raspberry Pi to be precise.

Pi case

Here Morgan is printing a case for the Raspberry Pi, while under control of the bumblebee app, running on said Pi.  It also handles the Webcam.

All of a sudden the Top-end Morgan is not the one sporting the SD card, or the display.  Of course the machine would be dependent on availability of internet connectivity, unless you have your own server.

I have clocked 55Hr of printing since installing BotQueue.  Printed most of the parts for another Morgan (Aluminium version) and a Mendel90 for a fellow hacker.

I have to get the new Morgans into the farm as soon as possible.  So much to print!

Posted on 2 Comments
Posted on Leave a comment

Morgan’s daughter update

New motor mountings completed, RAMPS built and firmware uploaded. Just need a couple of small vitamins – both for my machine and for me…

My printer is about to become a mommy… They do grow up so fast!

IMG_0542

Posted on Leave a comment