jade39339

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Morgan Build Morton Grove, IL #1032
    jade39339
    Participant

    Hooray! My parts have shipped! Waiting for them to arrive now!

    in reply to: Filament drive instead of belts #1028
    jade39339
    Participant

    Usually, in systems like you pictured above. Between the motor and the drive wheel is a tension-er pulley setup like on old reel-to-reel tape recording systems used to always keep the tape under tension. I’d copy what they’ve done there, because it works and prevents backlash of the tape(filament) in this case.

    in reply to: Filament drive instead of belts #1024
    jade39339
    Participant

    Hmmm, it would seem you would need to keep the filament under some kind of tension at all times to make sure it feeds (winds correctly around the spindle). Otherwise you run the risk of the filament not spooling correctly on the windings. I could see this possibly working if the motor was mounted on the top frame and at a 90 degree angle. That way in theory the filament could naturally made to be always under tension. You would need to add a pulley at the base of the drive wheel to affix it to the drive wheel.

    My 2 cents!

    in reply to: Threadless ball-screw #988
    jade39339
    Participant

    Hi Robert,

    I believe air bearings would be impractical. They are specifically designed to have almost no friction once up to pressure and since no contact is made but the air, there would be no way to prevent slip on the rod.

    in reply to: Virtual build #916
    jade39339
    Participant

    Nice work Robert!

    in reply to: DXF File #860
    jade39339
    Participant

    I went and used fiber board 3/4″ @ Homedepot and its cheap. It’s super stiff and does not flex at all, which will provide an excellent base for the X,Y, and Z axis. I’ll let you know how it works out.

    If I remember correctly, one of the caveats to using fiber board is it tends to degrade over time, the binding glue begins to dry out if you don’t seal it up. I’m going to probably need to add primer and paint to it in order for the glue to hold up for a long time.

    in reply to: DXF File #835
    jade39339
    Participant

    Overall dimensions are width 400mm x height 460mm. The radius of the half circle is 200mm.

    in reply to: DXF File #832
    jade39339
    Participant

    Here’s a link to the sketchup 8 plugin that imports DXF files.

    https://sites.google.com/site/jimfoltz/my-sketchup-plugins/freedxf/freedfx-0.57.rbz?attredirects=0

    I followed the install directions on this page.

    https://sites.google.com/site/jimfoltz/my-sketchup-plugins/freedxf

    in reply to: DXF File #820
    jade39339
    Participant

    If you use sketch up, there are free plugins that you can load to open up and view DXF files. Alternatively, you can use LibreCAD to open it up.

    Also, a problem I discovered I had was to make sure you’re not downloading the individual files from the Git project using Firefox or whatever browser you use online. At least with Firefox, it will save a garbage file that you will not be able to open. You must download the entire project zip, then open the selected DXF file you want from the zip.

    in reply to: Morgan Build Morton Grove, IL #807
    jade39339
    Participant

    Thanks Quentin!

    I’m getting my parts printed this coming week over here (http://uk-3d.com/) in the UK for £ 0.1 cm3. I’ll let you know how they turn out.

    Things are starting to come together and I’m chaffing at the bit to start putting stuff together…

    Mike

    in reply to: Morgan Build Morton Grove, IL #800
    jade39339
    Participant

    How long of GT2 timing belt do I need for both X/Y stepper wheels? I bought a 1100mm belt, will this be long enough for both?

    in reply to: Morgan Build, Ann Arbor MI (US) #792
    jade39339
    Participant

    Threaded rods are not as I understand it uniformly accurate with regards to the pitch of the screw where as lead screws more or less guarantee uniform pitch, diameter, etc… within a given tolerance range. That’s why they cost much more than a threaded rod.

    in reply to: Morgan Build Morton Grove, IL #724
    jade39339
    Participant

    Hi Quentin,

    Could you contact me and tell me how much you would charge for sourcing the Morgan STL’s parts (8mm) through you?

    in reply to: Morgan Build, Ann Arbor MI (US) #719
    jade39339
    Participant

    Great video, that helped me alot to understand what was going on!

    in reply to: Morgan Build Morton Grove, IL #711
    jade39339
    Participant

    As god is my witness, I cannot saw a straight line cut if my life depended on it.

    Oh well, making the base and top from plywood this weekend.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
Help-Desk