PVC-pipes with or without tension

All good things Forums Morgan Builders forum PVC-pipes with or without tension

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      RobertKuhlmann
      Participant

To be honest, I don’t like the PVC-pipes in place with that amount of tension that Quentin wants them to have. Of course that tension makes the construction very rigid, but the pipes are not produced to keep that tension over time.

It also makes the construction depending on temperature. The grade of tension will vary with the weather.

Both scenarios are not “that” important. It’s just my approach to this project.

And maybe the pipes I found at our DIY-market are not as flexible as Quentin’s. My ones are grey and very rigid.

I modified the positions and shapes of the pipe-supports on the platforms and the result is stable without any tension between the pipes.
      If I need more stability later on, I can add steelwires in the pipes to create extra tension and stability.

What’s the opinion of all you Morgan-builders? And, of course, your’s Quentin?

hoff70
      Participant

I had my doubts until I got my frame together. My front tubes are about 1-1.5 inch out of place each on the front before fastening them down but once the screws are in place the assembly is really rigid! I’m using the thick wall stuff (Schedule 40 I believe it’s called).

My frame was together for over a week and I took it apart for some work and the tubes still “sprung” after loosening the screws.

I doubt if temp change, etc is going to effect it in any noticeable way. It’s used for plumbing with glued joints so I imagine it remains pretty dimensionally stable over time.

I don’t think you’re going to improve upon it much without adding parts, expense, complication to the machine.

just my 2 cents…

RobertKuhlmann
      Participant

Maybe you are right. I’ll test several concepts and keep the best.

Today my Morgan has straight pipes. But that’s what I love about RepRap. You can change and improve the machine as required.
      No one or at least only a few would modify their commercial printer. They’d lose the warranty and the firmware of commercial machines is not OpenSource in most cases.

I confess, that at first I thought the bending of the pipes wasn’t intentional. There was no note on that in the (draft) assembly guide or I missed that point.

Anyway. If it is a good concept it will make its way.
      I’ll create a branch with the bended pipes in my extended BOM in the RepRapWiki, so anyone has a free choice between both concepts.

hoff70
      Participant

True Robert. And with a reprap you have the tool to do all the modifications you dream up!

I think Q has done a fantastic job designing this machine. So far the frame and rod/tube assembly looks solid. I can’t comment on the arms portion because I have not assembled it yet but I imagine the quality will be the same.

My advise as a veteran reprapper is to stick with what has been proven for now and throw your creative energies into your 2nd machine \o/

I admit that I am being somewhat selfish because I want you to GET PRINTING so you can continue to contribute with a bigger tool set!

Quentin Harley
      Keymaster

My original Morgan has been assembled in the middle of the South-African summer, and is still rigid and printing. No problems in winter (our winters are not that cold, but our homes are very cold – not built for cold, but for heat)

In the end everyone have to do what they feel comfortable with. It is still recognisable as a Morgan – look at Wim de Groot’s ultimaker Morgan as a prime example.

Now, let the printing begin!
      Q

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.