Posted on

Making Headway

I know I am being very cagy about the new concept, but it will be well worth it in the end!

I have sent off the electronics to the circuit board people, and put in an order for some A4988 chips. Had to get 25, so I’ll have enough to help out a couple of local Morgan builders eventually! In order to save some time and effort, I decided to go with the tried and tested RAMPS 1.4 platform, especially since I already have an Arduino Mega board.

The main driver for eventually going with RAMPS is the fact that the flavour of the day in terms of RepRAP firmware changed about as many times as I changed my mind on the best mechanical platform for Morgan. As much as I would like to create and maintain my own firmware, it would be unwise to exclude Morgan from the rapid development happening in that field at the moment.  This will allow me to make minor tweaks to the firmware in a patch form, to add functionality to the system.

The build on a mechanical front is finally also starting up. The RepStrap will be mainly built from PVC piping, in order to start testing the concept. It will be one of the goals to use as little as possible non-printable components in the build.

Cannot wait to start printing the real one…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *