Go slow

Things are progressing much to slowly for me at the moment, with life getting in the way in a serious way.

Well, I have decided to bring the Morgan blog back here.  It’s my own space.

Since my last post here I have had a bucket full of great ideas, and spectacular failures.  The first frame I built was a base for the Ill fated Sarrus linkage Z-platform that I attempted.  I used 45mm PVC piping in the corners, and made a square base using m8 sink-plated rod.  On the rod I treaded m8 nuts in clusters, glued to plywood sections that formed the mechanics of the linkage.

  1. Too much play in the nuts
  2. Too much flexibility in the structure.

My Sarrus linkage wobbled like jelly…  My father visited us, saw the thing, and proclaimed that it was plain nuts.  Clearly.

I have abandoned Sarrus, because printed structures would likely have even more play, and would require “living hinges” that would be hard to print (Has to print across the hinge, and not parallel.)

In the mean time I got hold of most of my more expensive vitamins (Arduino, Steppers).  I want to use something like the RAMPS shield, but my design calls for four steppers only.  The fifth ins a waste of space that could be occupied by other stuff, like an SD card slot.

Started work on a new Darwinesque XY axis, using felt for my linear bearings.  Early days – promise to put up some pictures when I get a chance to work on it a bit in the next two weeks.  Would be nice if I could print something before the end of the year!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *