Things are progressing much to slowly for me at the moment, with life getting in the way in a serious way.
Well, I have decided to bring the Morgan blog back here. It’s my own space.
Since my last post here I have had a bucket full of great ideas, and spectacular failures. The first frame I built was a base for the Ill fated Sarrus linkage Z-platform that I attempted. I used 45mm PVC piping in the corners, and made a square base using m8 sink-plated rod. On the rod I treaded m8 nuts in clusters, glued to plywood sections that formed the mechanics of the linkage.
Too much play in the nuts
Too much flexibility in the structure.
My Sarrus linkage wobbled like jelly… My father visited us, saw the thing, and proclaimed that it was plain nuts. Clearly.
I have abandoned Sarrus, because printed structures would likely have even more play, and would require “living hinges” that would be hard to print (Has to print across the hinge, and not parallel.)
In the mean time I got hold of most of my more expensive vitamins (Arduino, Steppers). I want to use something like the RAMPS shield, but my design calls for four steppers only. The fifth ins a waste of space that could be occupied by other stuff, like an SD card slot.
Started work on a new Darwinesque XY axis, using felt for my linear bearings. Early days – promise to put up some pictures when I get a chance to work on it a bit in the next two weeks. Would be nice if I could print something before the end of the year!
Trying to absorb all the development that has happened in the open hardware 3D printer arena, I find myself veering violently between the different configurations. There is certainly still a lot of merit in the Darwin like machine…
The problem is that I find myself exploring ALL the different parts of RepRap at once.
Time to choose my poison. The frame is an obvious first choice then.
Thomas Hunt Morgan did using fruit flies what Gregor Mendel started forty years prior on peas.
My design (or my initial ideas) are loosely based of the current Mendels, but will eventually bear little resemblance to its muse. The idea is to make the design Mendel printable… though it might be a (very) tight fit.
Morgan will be at least 90% printed volume, at least 3 material, automatic unloading with a build area exceeding the 300x300x100 Gada spec. But it will be a while before we get into that. Morgan will have to be printed.
Stumbled across the Gada prize… and some additional stumbling made me decide – I can build that!
Every story needs a beginning, and this one starts a couple of years ago when I bought my first inkjet printer. Wonderful things, except that their print heads did not last more than two cartridge changes…
Three printers later there is enough mechanicals for a nice RepStrap. You have to start somewhere. Only thing is, that to build a Gada compliant RepRapper you will need quite a big RepStrap. This will be a record of the journey halfway there